We’re looking for an all-star ingredient buyer to join our team. Each week, our team builds a 60+ ingredient supply chain to support the production of our meal kits across a multi-city production operation. As a buyer, you will manage ingredient buying from PO to delivery- communicating with suppliers and production sites to ensure all ingredients are delivered on-time, in full, each week. This includes placing orders through direct partners and distributors and managing detailed inventory counts, communicating with on-site team to confirm deliveries, and staying highly organized to manage changing ingredients and order numbers. This role works closely with Sourcing, Culinary, and Operations each week. To succeed in this position, we expect superior communication and organizational skills, experience in data management, dedication, resilience, and a willingness to learn on the fly.
We are looking for someone who wants to make a positive change in the world! Purple Carrot provides plant-based (vegan) meal kits to help people lead healthier lives and positively impact the environment. We are a 4 year-old company that is growing rapidly and we need your help to get even bigger.
- Work with Sourcing and Culinary teams to understand upcoming product specifications, pricing, and supplier availability on a 12 week+ timeline
- Generate and organize purchase orders and ensure on time delivery and order accuracy (quantity, specs, quality) for shelf-stable/pantry items, refrigerated, and frozen ingredient orders
- Follow orders from PO creation through delivery and portioning - communicating with on-site team about delays or shortages
- Track and understand yields and shrinkage of products to ensure proper ordering quantities
- Update Sourcing team on supplier performance relating to quality in products, delivery, and accuracy. Make recommendations when new sources are needed.
- Verify costs of raw and processed materials and ensure that actual costs meet projections
- Closely monitor and respond to inventory levels, changing order volumes, quality or delivery issues, and recovery requirements, in order to efficiently plan and manage purchasing over 6-12 week timeline.
- Respond quickly to supply disruptions, including order changes and delivery shortages, to develop alternative supply sources and/or communicate order adjustments.
- Collaborate with operations analysts to develop and maintain costing data and historical pricing
- 2 - 5 years food buying/purchasing or procurement experience. Must be experienced in forecasting, planned demand, and recovery. Must have food experience and knowledge.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Tech-savvy and proficient in data management and analysis using Excel and Google Docs to manage orders, use formulas and inventory management. Not reliant on formal ordering systems. Quickbooks experience a plus.
- Experience with and excitement about working in a fast-paced growing start-up, including committing to unexpected needs, like emergencies on the weekends.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented - able to keep track of 60 different ingredients every week from different vendors
- Able to multi-task and has strong time management skills. Keep self on-track each day and week to ensure you’re hitting important timelines.
- Stellar written, verbal, and social communication skills - both internally and externally
- Proactive problem-solver, able to make decisions quickly and think on your feet and stay calm under pressure
- Comfortable working independently and on a team environment and willing to take on new responsibilities and projects.
- Minimal travel to onsite fulfillment locations.
- Ability to report to Needham, Massachusetts headquarters
About Purple Carrot
Purple Carrot is a meal kit subscription service on a mission to help customers eat more plants. We are looking for hardworking individuals who take pride in having fun and have a passion for startup culture. From spin and gin nights, to our annual day of service in the surrounding community, we work to live and yet live to work because we're doing what we love. We’re crafting delicious, 100% plant-based recipes and shipping them to homes across the country, making it easier than ever to eat healthy, nutrient-dense foods on a regular basis. Since its launch in October 2014, Purple Carrot has grown significantly with increasing revenues, new subscribers, and national reach. In the spring of 2017 Purple Carrot launched TB12 Performance Meals, which offer gluten-free, high-protein, and limited soy recipes developed in partnership with NFL quarterback Tom Brady and TB12Sports.
We are committed to a safe and inclusive work environment, free of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetics, national origin, ancestry, age, medical condition, mental or physical disability, handicap, veteran status, or marital status.
We love our staff, and show it with benefits (medical, dental, and life), matching 401k plan, free weekly Purple Carrot or TB12 boxes, a positive environment, and working alongside co-workers who are passionate about food. Plus, you’ll always get to taste what our test kitchen is cooking up!
We greatly thank all applicants, however only those under serious consideration will be contacted.