We are looking for someone who wants to make a positive change in the world! Purple Carrot provides plant-based (vegan) meal kits to help people lead healthier lives and positively impact the environment. We are a 4 year-old company that is growing rapidly and we need your help to get even bigger.
As the Procurement Manager you will oversee a team of buyers who are responsible for ensuring all ingredients are purchased and delivered on-time, on-budget, and of the highest quality. You will oversee the strategy and execution of an improved buying process, which includes the complexity of multiple meals across multiple production sites. Working with Fulfillment and Culinary, you will ensure all guidelines and targets are met. Daily work includes reviewing the buyers’ orders and numbers, discussing upcoming ingredients, and handling last minute delivery or availability issues. Project work consists of reviewing usage, pricing, and other factors to drive down cost, reviewing supplier performance, and providing feedback and recommendations to improve quality. As the manager, your team will look for guidance with daily ordering and specialty ingredients and help during emergency situations. A successful candidate will be able to lead strategic buying activities across multiple partners, provide daily support and oversight to a growing team of buyers, understand the weekly on-site needs, and be able to focus on the long-term goals.
- Manage the Procurement team, including evaluating and building best buying practices to improve COGS and hit cost targets.
- Use internal reports and systems to manage buyers by reviewing weekly orders and expected costs. Provide feedback, recommendations, and action items based on budget and KPI metrics.
- Work with analyst to understand cost targets versus actuals and be able to dig into ingredient or vendor specific issues on a weekly basis. Identity opportunities for cost-savings through buying practices, vendors, programs, and ingredient usage.
- Understand processes for buying to provide coverage and support for Procurement team, including PO creation, order accuracy and timelines, buffers and yields, and on-site requirements.
- Work closely with remote on-site team each day/week to communicate shortages, delivery delays, storage needs, or inventory counts.
- Build strong relationships with internal stakeholders on Culinary and Fulfillment teams to align on ingredients and process. Act as primary source for vendor and order information, including shortages and recoveries.
- Update Sourcing team on supplier performance relating to quality in products, delivery, and accuracy. Make recommendations when new sources are needed.
- 4-6 years as a buyer or procurement manager in the food industry and/or ingredient procurement. Food industry experience required.
- Experience managing a team of in person and remote employees
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Must be comfortable working with large SKU lists that change constantly
- Ability to use data and reports to make decisions, identify problems, and improve buying process
- Experienced in vendor relations, holding suppliers accountable, and reviewing performance
- Experienced in and comfortable using Google Sheets, Excel, QuickBooks, and similar systems
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized. Able to keep track of changing list of 100+ ingredients each week.
- Strong communicator, able to manage and influence without authority both internally and externally
- Exceptional problem-solver who is action oriented, can stay calm under pressure, and make quick decisions
- Experience with and excitement about working in a fast-paced growing start-up, including commiting to unexpected needs, like emergencies on the weekends
- Able to report to Needham, Massachusetts headquarters
- Able to travel up to 10%
About Purple Carrot
Purple Carrot is a meal kit subscription service on a mission to help customers eat more plants. We are looking for hardworking individuals who take pride in having fun and have a passion for startup culture. From spin and gin nights, to our annual day of service in the surrounding community, we work to live and yet live to work because we're doing what we love. We’re crafting delicious, 100% plant-based recipes and shipping them to homes across the country, making it easier than ever to eat healthy, nutrient-dense foods on a regular basis. Since its launch in October 2014, Purple Carrot has grown significantly with increasing revenues, new subscribers, and national reach. In the spring of 2017 Purple Carrot launched TB12 Performance Meals, which offer gluten-free, high-protein, and limited soy recipes developed in partnership with NFL quarterback Tom Brady and TB12Sports.
We are committed to a safe and inclusive work environment, free of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetics, national origin, ancestry, age, medical condition, mental or physical disability, handicap, veteran status, or marital status.
We love our staff, and show it with benefits (medical, dental, and life), a matching 401k plan, free weekly Purple Carrot or TB12 boxes, a positive environment, and working alongside co-workers who are passionate about food. Plus, you’ll always get to taste what our test kitchen is cooking up!
We greatly thank all applicants, however only those under serious consideration will be contacted.
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!